Oct

My Alza Fuel Consumption Averages at 12.7km/l

Author Kew    Category Alza, Fuel Consumption, Perodua, Toyota     Tags

Oct 24

My Alza Fuel Consumption inches higher from 12.3km/l to 12.7km/l.  I have perform 5k service since and the last pump was at 6194km.  Looking at the moving average chart, the average of the last 4 pump were 13.8km/l.  I see this as a significant improvement from the day I pick up the car, which performs at only 10.9km/l.  Though it is still far from what Toyota claim at 15.6km/l, but it is close to my previous Honda City that performs at 14.7km/l.  As the Alza Fuel Consumption efficiency is still improving and does not seam to be leveling off, I am hopeful that I will achieve my previous Honda City performance.

Oct 24_MA

27 Comments to “My Alza Fuel Consumption Averages at 12.7km/l”

• Pa Am October 30, 2010 at 5:53 am

Dear Mr Kew,

Thank a lot for your information. very benefit to me which also owned Alza. I also record every single liter which pumped to my Alza. so now still compiling the data, and will make a graph for it as done for your Alza.

thank once again.

• Kew October 30, 2010 at 9:22 am

Share your FC once you have it plot out…

• Dylan November 9, 2010 at 8:16 am

I just bought my Alza recently. Very disappointed with the fuel consumption at the begining (About RM10.6km/L. But it seem to have improvement after the 1000km service. Im very curious what cause the fuel consumption can improve better and better?

• Kew November 25, 2010 at 11:02 pm

I am still trying to figure out why the car behaves this way.

• Eric November 25, 2010 at 7:31 am

Kew,

Is not fair you compare Perodua Alza w/Honda City. I’d believe your City was Honda City 1.5 i-dsi or VTEC.

Perodua Alza using 3SZ-VE engine w/DVVT, rated 104ps. Yes, Toyota claimed 15.6km/L but please beared in your mind, Alza was not using VVT-i but DVVT. Different controller. Our DVVT cheaplak and lack of intelligent instruction than VVT-i, somemore it was detuned to lower horse power than Toyota Passo Sette which was 109ps (Perodua Alza = 104ps only)

For your information, 12.8KM/L was average among all Alza if tavel around KL. This is normal and will be better soon but impossible to clock 15.6KM/L unless 100% highway travel.

The best I get was 13.9KM/L. Mine one currently at 7k ++ mileage.

Perodua Alza 1.5 Premium (A)
    Average: 12.8km/L to 13km/L = city travel mostly
    Best: 13.9km/L
    Mileage: 7,000km ++
    Best Fuel: Caltex, Esso Mobil and BHP
    Worst Fuel (Power): Petronas, damn no power
    Worst Fuel (Drinker): Shell, damn fast finish

Suggest Tuning:
    1. Goto perodua service centre, request them to adjust throttle cable for better response
    2. Change to drop in filter, simota or K & N. No need modify, just change the filter.
    3. Change to lighter crankcase pulley, aluminium, less 600g will increase power.

Remark:
    3SZ-VE power lost due to air-cond, alternator and power steering drag engine power to be function

• Kew November 25, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Eric, thanks for your insightful sharing. I agree that Alza cannot be compared with City as it is just too different. It was because my previous car a City, I tend to compare more to it. I will try out the suggested Tuning and share the result.

• Sean K November 28, 2010 at 9:52 am

My new Alza, just under 3 months old, has a lot of problem. High FC is my main problem. My family bought the Alza is to save cost… but now, we are not sure anymore.
        We always pump full tank, about RM60 at Shell…. and the last fuel bar started blinking when it just clocked below 300km. The way I calculated, RM60 / RM1.85 = 32 litre. 300km / 32l= 9.38km/l. Anyone can give me some advice. Ya, additional info:- I use it to travel to work, about 7km from home, traffic jammed? Ok lah… not until bumper to bumper, jammed but smooth going lah.

• Kew November 29, 2010 at 4:48 am

Hi Sean,

Your fuel consumption is quite bad, especially if you are clocking < 300km for a full tank. Is your car fully loaded 5-6ppl majority of the time?

Here are a few of my suggestions.
          1. Try to tune down the air condition to half mark instead of full or 80-90%
          2. Try to press the accelerator lightly and allow the car to accelerate to desired speed instead of pressing the accelerator down fast.
          3. Try to keep to 90kmph or at road speed limit, as this is the speed where the car is most efficient.
          4. You might want to bring this up to the service center the next time you service the car and see if there is any problem with your car.

• Sean K November 29, 2010 at 7:42 am

Hi, thanks for your prompt reply. Most of the time, the car only carries 2 adults & 2 kids. In in the city, usually not more than 90km/h.
    Have actually complain about this matter to Perodua Service Centre. 1st time, they found out that the oil filter is leaking, so they changed it. 2nd time, they said it’s probably due to the ECU problem – the part where it controls the releasing of petrol. 3rd time, they said due to meter problem – just changed on 28Nov10. Acording to the SC, these are the 3 major parts concering the FC. Don’t what to do anymore if the FC is still so high.
    So, will test drive first after filling in full tank. Let see how far the car can go.

• Eric December 29, 2010 at 5:04 am

Sean,

Suggest you change your petrol. Don’t use Shell anymore. Use BHP, Esso Mobil or Caltex, you will can more mileage. Try few full tank, ask SC to tighten the throttle cable.

• alcapone December 29, 2010 at 2:17 pm

yes,try use esso fuel,is more better response & fc.Trust brand.If you drive diesel go to Shell.

• kapit937 January 27, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Hi Kew and everybody,

I also bought Alza AV version. Received it in July last year. Perhaps its a bias comments since I haven’t own other cars than Malaysian car, but the FC of Alza is (for me) still reasonable. The lowest I managed to get is 7.2L/100km. Traveled from Melaka to Parit Raja and come back. Average speed was 90km/h. On the way back to Shah Alam, NSE , average speed 115km, the FC still clocked 7.2L/100km.
    I think the FC level depends on the behaviour of the driver. My wife who is the main driver of the car, the average FC is 8.4L/100km. Short drive from work and home. Perhaps too many brakes and yes, sudden press on the accelerator. I used to follow the tips from My Alza Owners club on how to drive with auto gear. Gentle press and let the car increase the speed at its own ease. Overtaking, again depends on the technique. If you increase the pressure to the accelerator while overtaking, the pick up will be very slow. Try to release the accelerator and then press it again bit harder than previously. You will feel the gear will be shifted down and you will be ready to overtake the car in front of you. I guess it will be the same when climbing up the hill. I did the same technique will driving at Mt. Erskine in December last year.

Just my 2 cents.

• Kew January 28, 2011 at 1:19 am

Thanks for your comment and sharing..

• ramy January 30, 2011 at 1:53 pm

alza auto sy kuat makan minyak dari jb ke segamat minyak rm 70 tak cukup..pergi balik speed 110-120 kmh .dulu pakai avanza 1.3 auto rm5o boleh pergi balik..siapa2 boleh tolong mcm mane nak jimat,masa baru ok lepas servis la teruk…

• fahmi May 6, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Try install battery stabilizer..sy pakai brand pivot..ada brand raisin jugak..harga dalam rm180…fungsi dia, stabil kan api dlm kete…nk power up sket, try install extractor stainless steel 421..arga bbeza ikut kawasan…bagi pikap lebih..

• Chan April 5, 2011 at 9:05 am

my alza fuel consumption is ranging from 6.7l/100km till 7.6l/100km. the best result can be achieve during highways when cruising about 90km to 110km. it will be around 7~7.2l/100km. Fuel consumption is mostly depend on the driver. less foot pedal then it will come out in lower fuel consumption. One Thing need to noted is that the sometime the fuel or petrol we use have some significant impact on the fuel consumption. I always change fuel ranging from shell, esso mobil, caltex and bhp once the fuel consumption is getting higher. Until now not know which one is ok. When refuel the car try to do it on morning time as less petrol evaporate and shall give you more fuel.

• Kew April 5, 2011 at 9:09 am

Yes, refueling in the morning compare with midday/afternoon has a significant difference. Thanks for the Sharing..

• andrew April 26, 2011 at 10:02 am

Hi everyone, your comments on fuel consumption are interesting. Does anyone have a ‘better’ fc after driving it past the 10,000 km. I think the engine may perform better after the initial run in period. It was the case with my VIva. I am thinking of buying an Alza now and would appreciate your opinions. My concern is also about FC (who isn’t right? ) Thanks

andrew

• fahmi May 6, 2014 at 6:34 pm

If u interested, then maybe u can start with changing the engime oil. Standard perodua engine oil may bring the engine heavier while it pass half of the service period. I use eneos semi / fully syntetic…run fast, more power…save petrol..can run from sg.petani tu kuala terengganu with 1 refill only..

• melissa May 8, 2011 at 1:29 pm

hi, everybody… actual, my father on plan to buy alza manual or avanza 1.3(m).. but i dont know which car to suggest. coz, some people say, alza save fuel than avanza.. some people say, avanza save than alza.. and avanza very bumppy in 3rd row.. but i’m worried alza aircond not enough till 3rd row.. please give me some suggestion..

• Kew May 25, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Go test drive the car… The air condition is sufficient for the 3rd Row…

• Raymo26 July 28, 2011 at 6:43 am

After reading this page, I think i’ll get one of this baby to try it out….

• Ben January 21, 2014 at 2:19 am

Just bought a 2nd hand Alza year 2011 and EZi version. Very happy with the comfort of the car and drive handling. However, it’s fuel consumption is @ 10.3L/km and not sure how it is possible that I read from here to be better. Is there something wrong with the car?

• fahmi May 6, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Kalau perasan, bar minyak alza dipengaruhi dgn nombor kat sebelah dia..try isi rm30 setiap kali nombor tu cecah 60…buat beberapa kali n korg mesti perasan bezanya..normal utk org yg biasa isi penuh, nombor yg korg dpt dlm lingkungan 500 ke atas n minyak pd separuh plk dlm lingkungan 300…try cara kat atas td..bila dh wat bebrapa kali msti full tank akan jd dlm 400 lebih..bezanya, lagi besar nombor tu, lagi cepat bar myk turun…

• Ming October 13, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Hi, I just brought alza advanced last month,im using shell ron 95
    my AVG 9.2 L/100km,full tank can go until 450km
    this fuel consumption good or?,
    anyone can help me ?

• Alffie November 8, 2014 at 10:11 am

Hi Mr Kew

Good day to you.

I realised my Alza which I bought early last year consuming more petrol either by re-fuelling RON 95 or RON 97. Initially, I noticed that the reading was 14L/100km when using RON 95 until I changed to RON 97 since Aug14. However, the average readings still does not meet the usage as per your blog or any Alza forums. With RON 97, the petrol consumption only could reach at 11.7L/100km. My current mileage 40000km and had sent once for servicing at the perodua sc for the first 1000km apart from servicing at the local workshop for every 3 months (never fail) with the motor oil either Shell Helix HX7 or Idemitsu Extreme Eco. I had once reflushed the gear oil and replace the air filter for mileage 30000km. Need your kind advice how can I do to meet Alza standard fuel consumption. Many thanks Sir.

• Kew November 9, 2014 at 6:16 am

Thanks for dropping by. There are a few things you can look at. #2 will yield best result.
      1. Tyre pressure, ensure it is within the specification.
      2. Light Foot driving style. My driving style is light foot, what does it mean. I tap the fuel pedal a little and allow the car to accelerate by itself. It is basically a slow acceleration. At traffic light, if you press the pedal quite hard, you can go fast, but you will also be burning more fuel for the same distance of travel.
      3. Keep the car light, remove anything that is not necessary in the car.
      4. At Hwy dont go too fast, such as driving >120kmph will move the RPM> 3-4k and the engine will consume more fuel. For example, at 2000RPM, the fuel consumption is half that of 4000rpm..

Hope this helps…